Things To Do In Aberlour
The Aberlour area has a host of wonderful things to see and do, and fantastic places to eat and stay. We asked Team GA how they would spend their free time in Aberlour and the surrounding areas, and here’s what they suggested:
Obviously a visit to The GlenAllachie Distillery is a MUST! Situated between Aberlour and Ben Rinnes, The GlenAllachie Distillery is easily accessed from the A95 and in fact the warehouses are actually visible from the road. We are pleased to offer a host of merchandise and whisky in our distillery shop.
If you’d rather take a taxi, here’s a list of companies we’d recommend:
- Craigellachie Cars – 07960 567118
- Ace Taxi – 07766 301838
- Speyside Taxi – 01340 871217
- Speyside Executive Hire – 07887 791443
- Ozzy Taxi – 01340 820744
- Deveron Taxi – 01466 794949
Places to Visit
As well as a visit to The GlenAllachie Distillery, we’d recommend visiting at least one of the many attractions in the area:
- The Malt Whisky Trail – Discover more of the distilleries in the Moray/Speyside area.
- Walking – There are a number of fantastic walks in the local area.
- Linn Falls – Aberlour – Linn Falls is a beautiful walk around 20 minutes from Aberlour High Street.
- Speyside Swimming Pool – Aberlour – If you fancy some exercise, why not go for a few lengths of the swimming pool.
- Speyside Cooperage – Craigellachie – You’ve already learned how whisky is made, now find out how the casks are made.
- Walkers Shortbread – Aberlour – Do you have a sweet tooth? We recommend a visit to the home of Walkers Shortbread.
- Landmark Adventure – Carrbridge – Are you a thrill seeker? This forest adventure park is a great way to spend a day!
- Highland Folk Museum – Newtonmore – As Britain’s first open air museum, this is sure to be a favourite for those interested in history.
- Highland Wildlife Park – Kingussie – Experience a magical day out and see animals including a Polar Bear, Camel and Bison.
- Go Ape Outdoor Activities – Banchory – One for the adrenaline junkies – swing amongst the trees and skateboard along a zip wire!
Places to Eat & Drink
Whether you’re about to embark on a day of distillery hopping, or finishing off a busy day of visiting attractions, it is important to be well fed! Team GA recommends grabbing a bite to eat in the following local restaurants, cafe’s and bars:
- The Mash Tun, Aberlour
- Aberlour Hotel, Aberlour.
- The Gathern Café, Aberlour
- Dowans Hotel, Aberlour
- Sidings Café, Dufftown
- Speyside Cooperage, Dufftown
- The Station Hotel, Rothes
Places to Stay
A great sleep is essential whether you’ve had a fun-filled day or you’re gearing up for another day of adventure. We are fortunate to be surrounded by some wonderful B&B’s, Hotels and Glamping sites. If you stay with one of the accommodation providers below, you’ll be offered a fantastic 20% off the price of our standard tour. Just ask for the discount code from reception/the owner and enter it when booking your tour online. Due to COVID19, we are not accepting walk-in visitors, all tours must be booked in advance. We recommend staying at:
- The Dowans Hotel – Aberlour – Under one mile from our distillery, The Dowans Hotel can host 28 guests across 16 rooms. They have catering facilities in their restuarant ’57’ which offers an a la carte menu and ‘Spe’ which has a tasting menu. They also have bar facilities: MBar which is a cocktail bar, and The Still which is a whisky bar.
- Moray Cottages – Dufftown – With two self catering cottages available, The Stable Cottage can sleep 4 guests and the Mill Cottage can sleep 5 guests.
- The Gables Whisky B&B – Dufftown – Situated just two miles outside of Dufftown, The Gables Whisky B&B has 4 ensuite rooms. They offer breakfast and evening meals and have a whisky lounge with over 350 whiskies open to all (pre-booking required). The hosts speak English, German and Dutch.
- Cardhu Country House – Knockando – This rural retreat has six double rooms, three of which can be configured as twin rooms, and offers a fantastic breakfast. Dinner is also available Tuesday – Saturday.
- Kilt Room Cottage – Aberlour – Located in the heart of the Malt Whisky Trail, this self catering accommodation sleeps up to 4 people, is disabled friendly and allows 1-2 well behaved pets.
- Craigellachie Lodge – Craigellachie – Whether you’d like self catering or Bed & Breakfast, The Craigellachie lodge offers five luxurious en-suite guest bedrooms. They also have a guest drawing room, whisky snug and mature gardens with outdoor seating.
- The Station Hotel – Rothes – Extensively renovated in 2016, The Station Hotel is the perfect blend of class tradition and modern luxury. With 15 individually designed bedrooms, a whisky wall with over 500 blend and malts, and two restaurants, you are sure to have a fantastic stay!
- Highland Spirit Bed and Breakfast – Dufftown – With 3 Superking Double rooms this B&B is situated just one minute walk from Dufftown Clock Tower.
- Inveravon Holiday Home – Dufftown – This 3 bedroom holiday home has everything you could possibly need for a visit to Speyside.
We look forward to welcoming you to The GlenAllachie Distillery and showing you what we have to offer. Whether you’re planning a day visit or a full week in the area, we hope you have a wonderful time!
Fantastic 50th Award for the GlenAllachie
8th September 2020
22nd July 2020